22 December, 2015
Pico de Gallo
Who doesn’t love Pico de Gallo? Maybe it’s my weakness for fresh ingredients, but I absolutely love the stuff, especially on fish tacos. Anyway, I was looking around online recently and I couldn’t seem to find a recipe that seemed quite right to me. I prefer a balance of ingredients. What I kept finding however, were recipes that had huge amounts of onions, too much tomato, no garlic, etc. It was disappointing. So, I threw this together one day and was immediately thrilled. Admittedly this recipe has a higher concentration of jalapeño than many, so feel free to eliminate or cut it to half a pepper. I went with garlic powder in this recipe so as to get the garlic flavor without adding a garlic burn as it feels out of place to me. This is great with chips, and alongside the guacamole.
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- ½ Onion, finely chopped (red onion is great for color in this)
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Combine all ingredients in an appropriate dish and refrigerate until ready to use. Letting the Pico de Gallo sit for about 20 minutes will help the flavors mix.
- Serve with chips or on your favorite Mexican food.